Tuesday, August 11, 2009

SIRENS, SIRENS, SIRENS!!!!

It was a few days after Christmas and my nephew was visiting our home for a few days and toward evening we were sitting in the living room, when we heard these sirens. They were really close to our house (at least a couple blocks away). They just kept blowing and blowing.

I thought to myself somebody had gotten in an accident and they were taking them to the hospital. Little did I know that the person that was being transported to the hospital was our good friend's son. Our "camping buddies" son was with another friend's son and they had a horrible accident!!!

Young "Chuckie" was in critical condition and the other lad was not hurt that much. They transported Chuckie to a hospital in another city close by soon after. His fever rose and to keep the fever down they opened the window of the hospital room and put a fan up to keep his fever in check. Now this was in the dead of winter. He had lots of blood transfusions, etc, during this time. Our pastor the one I mentioned earlier in "Raining tears", stayed with the family and slept on the floor at the hospital waiting room many a night. This pastor was one in a million! Such dedication to his calling!!! Thank you so much for your caring for the "Flock"!!!

Since this happened just a few days after Christmas, Chuck and Katie still had their Christmas tree and decorations still up. Dorotha (camping buddy) and I went over to take down the decorations, so they wouldn't have to face seeing them up and remember the joyous time a few days prior. To this day, each year I take down my decorations, I think of this horrific time in their lives, where their son's life was hanging in the balance. I always think, one never knows what a day will bring forth, let alone a new year will bring forth. I'm always thankful when the year went smoothly, with no tragic endings.

Chuckie lost his battle of life and went to be with His Lord, about two weeks later. A great loss to the family and to our church family. God truly had to carry our friends during these days and weeks after. Words are so inadequate during these times. It brings tears to my eyes as I write about it.

Wisdom--In Proverbs 27:1 it states--"Boast not thyself of tomorrow; for thou knowest not what a day may bring forth." In II Corinthians 6:2b--"behold, now is the accepted time; behold, now is the day of salvation". We must never put off accepting the Lord, for we know not whether we will have another chance. Chuckie was 17 years of age when he died.

No comments: