Friday, August 14, 2009

HOW WE MET OUR DAUGHTERS HUSBAND!

My sister was home for a visit and since she wanted to see our nephew at the University, we drove over and surprised him. It was in May and he was in between final tests in his engineering courses. We had called up to his room and told him we were downstairs in the student lounge. He probably didn't have time to spare, but made time for us. In his room that day was Jim talking about the engineering tests they had taken that week. This was the end of their freshman year at the University.

Instead of coming down by himself to see us, he asked Jim if he wanted to meet us. Since he was through with all his tests and waiting for a ride home for the summer, he agreed.

My sister, her son, my two girls and I had gone over that day (my husband was at work). Little did we know that we were going to meet my older daughter's future husband. He was very cordial and polite. The girls did not interact with him much, but just was tag-a-longs! I think our older daughter was 15 (very close to 16 years old). Our younger daughter was 12 1/2 years old going on 18.

The nephew just had a test to take and was free to "goof off" right afterwards, so he asked my sister's son to stay over for a few days and they would be able to visit. Since he had some extra clothes in the car, he did just that.

A few days later, we went over to pick up Steve and say goodbye to Hank as they were headed back to their home in another state.

We met in the snack bar close to the dorm. Well, you guessed it, Jim came along with Hank down to the snack bar. Well Hank was up to his "sneaky ways" and tried to get Jim and Carol to sit by each other. I don't think this happened but he still had some "sneaky ways" in his mind.
Stay tuned, I might get around to telling you about his "sneaky ways".

On the way home we told our older daughter that Jim seemed nice and was "cute". To that my older daughter was not that impressed.

Our younger daughter wasn't impressed because he had "Hush Puppies" for shoes on. Now that sure is a criteria you need to watch out for in men! Don't ever date anyone that wears Hush Puppies! Check them off!!

Thought--When you are young, you have the strangest set of values. Sometimes it may be as silly as the way that a boy might part his hair. Only when you get a few years older, do true values fall into place. This takes time!

1 comment:

Observer said...

I am surprised! I had no idea that Carol was so young when she first met Jim! Evidently Jim must have been in his Freshman year? I don't think I met him until several years later when they were newly-engaged.