Thursday, August 13, 2009

ALL THAT WORK AND IT IS CONSUMED SO QUICKLY!

Somewhere when the girls were little, either out of necessity or just the "fun" of it, I decided to learn to decorate cakes.

Originally, I would make "cut up cakes". This is where you would take a cake and cut it up to make a lion, dog, doll, etc. Mostly, this was done for their birthdays. Then I started learning to do flowers, etc with the frosting.

I really never got to be really good at this hobby, but if I had a flop, IT WAS SOON EATEN UP, anyway. I often thought about how much work that went into making the cake and then after you got it just the way you want it, it was eaten and nothing to show for all the mess and trouble you went through. Oh well, I was young then and my back didn't go out. Today, my back hurts and that's just too much "sugar for a cent", so they say.

On vacation one year we happen to visit the Ohio State Fair on the way home. I saw a cake there that had a fountain in the cake. Secretly, I had always wanted to make our daughter's wedding cakes. When we (girls and I) saw this cake, we knew that we wanted to incorporate a fountain in their wedding cake.

Yes, I got enough nerve to bake and decorate both of the girls wedding cakes. Perfect, NO, but I put a lot of "LOVE" in the cake and also each had a fountain in the center of their cake, with real running water.

Thought--When I think of the cake being eaten up so quickly back then, I think today, this is the kind of things that I like today. Something that you can use up, eat up and not stick away with all the other "stuff" that seems to occupy too much space in my home. How your views differ as you get older.

1 comment:

Observer said...

Do you remember that you made the wedding cake for Beth & me? It was cherry chip with white icing! And it wasn't gone right away! We saved a piece of it for a year or two (frozen) later, and then ate it on our anniversary! If I remember right, I think you had put a little note inside that last piece! We might still have it - I'll have to ask Beth!!