Thursday, August 27, 2009

EMPTY NEST--NOT FOR LONG!

After our older daughter was married, I think yet that fall our nephew came to stay at our house since he was going to Junior College close by.

I had an extra bedroom/sewing room on first floor and thought he would use that room to sleep in. He didn't want to sleep there, and wanted to sleep in a bed downstairs. I wished that he had slept upstairs, but since this was my first experience with boys, I let him decide. Of course, he had the full run of the house, otherwise and only slept in the basement.

He was such a blessing to our family and really helped us with that "EMPTY NEST" SYNDROME!

There was one request that we wanted from him. We always went to church on Sundays and I wanted him to go to church, also. I told him that he didn't have to come to our church, but we wanted him to get active in some church in the area.

He joined us each Sunday and became a "Big Brother" to our younger daughter. To this day, I see the bond that those two have.

Stay tuned and I will tell you a few stories about this "Big Brother" that made our household so enjoyable while he was there for two years.

Thought--I have never regretted sharing our home with him during those two years. He never gave me an ounce of concern and always was a "fun" person to be around. His even disposition made it quite enjoyable. By staying at our house, it helped him with expenses while he was in school and helped us with that "empty nest" syndrome.

1 comment:

Observer said...

I moved into your house in August of 1971! It was quite an adjustment to get used to living in the big city! On top of that, I had just gone through some emotional upheavals common to teenage guys, and I really appreciated the peace and acceptance that your home & family offered! I am so thankful for my two dear aunts, and for the help they gave me during a critical part of my life!