Wednesday, August 12, 2009

THE DEVIL MADE ME DO IT!!!

One time that one of my nephews was down, I decided that I would try to get him to eat foods that was set before him, and not eliminate foods that I thought he should eat.

He had been very busy all morning trying to correct a problem that I had with my television. He had an aptitude for just such a thing way back in Junior/Senior high days.

It became lunchtime and I proceeded to fix him a toasted cheese sandwich. This was his favorite food and I knew he would love it. I got to thinking, why don't I put a very thin slice of ham between two slices of cheese and press those cheeses together and he wouldn't be the wiser. "Mikey might like it", I thought. This would get him to eating a little protein with his meals. He was a vegetarian and I was out to change that.

I called him to lunch and he had his electronic book in his hand while he was eating. Of course, I had hid the ham so at first glance he couldn't tell that I had played this trick on him. That day my horns was sticking out "BIG TIME".

Since he was so engrossed in his book, he took a big bite and noticed it wasn't what he expected. He spit it out and I authoritatively told him that he should eat it. I could see that it was actually making him almost ill. No, he didn't eat it and all the talking of how good it was for him didn't work. When will I ever learn that "trickery" doesn't work!!! And to think of how hard he had worked on my television that morning!

THE DEVIL MADE ME DO IT!

One time we went up to his home and he had rigged up a speaking system to the radio and when I came in the door he was speaking to me from the radio from another room. He must have inherited that "trickery" from his aunt.

On another occasion, by this time he had gotten his Electrical Engineering degree and was living in another state and nobody knew he was coming home. He hid in my daughter's closet and when I went over to see her one day, he popped out of the closet and asked if I wanted him to hang up my coat! A branch doesn't fall too far from the tree, they say. So, he had a few tricks of his own that he pulled on all the family on more than one occasion. Of course, we were glad to see him that day.

Wisdom--I'm thankful that he still loves me and has forgiven me of my "trickery".

No comments: