Monday, August 24, 2009

THE BIG WEDDING DAY!

The big wedding day was finally here and there were last things that had to be done before the ceremony. We had to move the wedding cake that was at our home, down to the church to be set up there. Also, we had finger foods that needed to be transported as well.

I like the "Food Channel" a lot and sometimes they have cake creations that need to be removed from the work space over the the "judging table". I know exactly how those people feel when this is done, anything can happen and sometimes it all falls apart for them.

Since I had incorporated a fountain in the center of the cake, it was quite a large cake (of course nothing compared to the food channel cake creations). It had to be taken to the car, transported to the church, down a flight of steps onto the table waiting for the cake. We had some of the groomsmen help with this because it took a steady man's hand to lift and step down on the steps to put it in place. I had taken pictures of the cake, just in case it didn't make it to the church in one piece.

It got to the church, but some of the support pillars had shifted. You guessed it, one side was collapsing. One of the men carrying the cake just happened to be an architecture student and knew what had just happened. I reached over and in the nick of time retrieved the layers on top of the one that was giving out. I had to whip up more icing and recreate that side of it, by straightening out the pillars and correcting the problem.

Along with the stress of the day we had complaints that we were too organized, etc. One certainly can't be too organized I thought. When the guests appear, you had better have a sheet of paper to hand them of the coming events and times that they needed to be where, or you just might forget to tell something to someone, and that would really foul things up.

We had a few other crisis things that occurred yet that day, but the wedding took place.

I was composed during all the crisis during the day and through the wedding. After the wedding and in the middle of the night, I woke up and was so TIRED and EXHAUSTED. I have never been this tired or this exhausted before nor since.

Thought--Would I have done the things that I did again. Of course I would! This was a "big" event for our daughter and it was all worth it. When planning a large event, one better just expect that somethings will not go as well as planned. That way, you won't be surprised when it happens.

No comments: