Sunday, August 23, 2009

ORGANIZATION!!!

Any mother that has had to get ready for a wedding knows that one has to be organized, with a plan in place and carefully work the plan.

This is what I faced when our older daughter was going to get married and I had one year to do the things that I wanted to do for her. Since I sewed quite a bit, I wanted to make her wedding dress. I also wanted to make her wedding cake. She had 4 bridesmaids, flower girl and ring bearer. Making the bridesmaid dresses and the flower girl's dress was also something that interested me. Not to mention the decorations, ring pillow etc. that goes into making a wedding special and one of a kind.

How was I going to get all this accomplished and still keep up with daily things that every mother faces.

We shopped in Chicago for her material for her wedding dress, along with the material that her bridesmaid dresses were to be made from. She selected the lace, pattern, and bridesmaids pattern and material. I know the wedding dress material came from Marshall Fields in Chicago. The bridesmaid dress material was purchased in a lessor known shop in Chicago, close to the Loop.

She selected the design for the cake from Wilton Cake Books. We purchased the fountain from them as we knew we wanted to have it for both girls weddings.

After all the decisions were made, etc, the organization needed to be put in place. I really am not that good of an organizer, but I knew if I didn't, I would come up short of time and not have everything done. So organizing was the way to go.

Each week that I had left after purchasing the material, I had to divide the time up and do X amount toward the wedding during each week.

Mints were made and frozen. Cake layers were frozen and waited for the final decorating. Wedding dress and girl's bridesmaid dresses had to be cut and made.

I counted the hours it took to sew the beading on just one sleeve of her dress and it was time consuming and a lot of beads (the exact amount of beads and time escapes me). After that, I just kept up following my plan.

The big day was fast approaching. Stay tuned, as what can go wrong, will go wrong.

Thought--Today they have such elaborate weddings, but I don't think any wedding could have any more "Love" put in the planning than our daughter's wedding. However, expect the unexpected, because surely every wedding has a few surprises!

No comments: