Monday, July 13, 2009

WHAT DID YOU SAY WE ARE TAKING?

Since the summer months were filled with 4-H projects to complete on time, we really had to juggle our vacation until the girls had the projects under control and ready for judging the finished product.

This particular year, we wanted to go to Winona Lake for a week, but the sewing projects were not quite to where you could be comfortable in leaving. The only alternative was that they did them a little while we were up having "fun".

The girls and I suggested that we could take the portable sewing machine along with us and we could go and have fun and still they could work on their sewing projects in between swimming, etc.

My husband on the other hand said, "WHAT DID YOU SAY WE ARE TAKING ALONG ON OUR CAMPING TRIP?" Well since he was truly out-numbered three to one, we took the sewing machine.

One of the lessons that I feel was so important that the girls learned, was finishing up something you have started, on time and according to the exact requirements. This is a lesson that everyone needs. Details to the details in a projects regardless of what you are doing, is a "life skill" that so many never learn. (I have struggled with this all my adult life). No I wasn't in 4-H as a child, and many projects I have started and then got side-tracked before completing my project. I learned along with my daughters many of these skills as they were taking projects.

I also learned how to stand up and lean over a sewing machine, without touching the fabric and letting the girls do their THING. (Remember, I had some independant girls). Believe me, I had many an aching back at the end of the day. It was a lot of hard work on the teaching end, to see them make mistakes, then rip it out, and start over again. Looking back on this, it was all worth it in the end.

Wisdom--Everyone needs to make mistakes and learn from their mistakes how to correct them. 4-H was helpful in "MAKING THE BEST BETTER".

No comments: