Wednesday, July 29, 2009

SCARLET FEVER?????

One of our nephews seemed to like to spend time at our house during Easter/holiday vacations.

This particular time he started to get sick and run a fever along with a rash. I quickly got my handy "Dr Spock book" out to see if I could determine what was wrong with him. I looked in his mouth and thought he had a spot in the back of his throat as this book described to look for when one has measles. Since I wasn't really sure what was wrong, I took him to our "trusty" Pediatrician.

I made the mistake of telling her what I thought he had. Wrong approach to a doctor since they want to tell you what is wrong.

She diagnosed him as having Scarlet fever. Well, since this was quite a serious disease and I thought it best if his parents knew about it. I proceeded to drive him back to his home.

When we took him home, his mother said that the school was clear full of measles and she thought perhaps I was right in my diagnosis. After all, aren't I known as Doc Neumo?
That should account for something!!!!

To this day, I do not know if it was Scarlet Fever or Measles. My suspicions are that he had the Measles since so many from his school had the Measles.

Wisdom--When you take a child to the doctor, let the doctor tell you what is wrong and not the other way around. I think I ruffled her feathers a bit that day and she was out to prove me wrong. She still was a fantastic doctor for our children, however.

No comments: