Tuesday, July 21, 2009

FROM SEA TO SHINING SEA!!!

Yes, we camped from sea to shining sea (Atlantic to the Pacific) and from the Gulf of Mexico to the Great Lakes and some of the Providences in Canada.

It is so wonderful to live in a land that we are free to come and go as we please. Sometimes I feel that the average American takes this privilege without much appreciation. I know I do at times. Not all countries you are this free. The song version says, "I'm proud to be an American where I know I'm free, God bless the USA!". Or something like that. Let us protect our freedom
and not let it slip away.

We camped in Canada around Lake Superior, and came through Sault Ste. Marie and back into Michigan on one of our trips.

This stands out in my memory because of how cold Lake Superior was and our younger daughter went swimming with her uncle in that lake. Bur-rrrr!!!! Also, we had quite a bit of flu bug during that trip. I believe everyone got sick but my husband. We packed up to move on to another campground and left our younger daughter's pajamas hanging on the line. She had gotten sick during the night and I hung them out to dry. Normally we leave the campground as neat as we can, so the other campers have a clean camp spot. I don't know how we missed getting the clothes line down and pajamas with us. Since I did most of the sewing for the family, I probably had to sew some more pajamas for her, since she would need an extra pair.

I don't know if this was the trip or not, but when we arrived in Holland, Michigan we camped right on Lake Michigan and it was so windy and cold the day we camped there, that we went to bed early just to keep warm. We probably didn't pack enough warm clothes. This is one of the things that you have to take in consideration when going on a camping trip. You need all kinds of clothes, for rain/shine, warm/cold weather.

Oh yes, my younger daughter wanted to swim in Lake Michigan, in spite of the cold water. She had an adventurous spirit.

Thought--Even though we no longer camp, I still get nostalgia when I smell firewood burning and steak, hamburgers, bacon frying. We still have "golden" memories in our golden years.

No comments: