Friday, July 3, 2009

DING-DONG, AVON CALLING!

After I made the decision to be a "stay-at-home" mom, I decided to sell Avon to get those things that were "nice" to have, but not necessary in the long range scheme of things.

The girls were in Grade School, Junior High, and High School when I started selling these products. It didn't take that many hours out of my day, and I was my own boss and could go and come as I pleased. So I thought this was the way for us to have a few luxuries, without diving into our savings that were put there for important "future" needs.

I do think it was good way to make a little extra, while still basically being at home.

I learned to meet many wonderful people, as well as dealing with people in all walks of life.

One thing I learned quite fast, was that I wasn't the best housekeeper in the world, BUT I SURE WASN'T THE WORST, either. This would do two things for me. One being, that I better go home because their house looks so clean, and I better clean up my house. Then on the other hand, (I would think), I better go home and clean up my house, because I sure don't want to let my house get to looking like this one. This is when I would see a house that needed a lot of TLC done to it.

No matter what, people are people, and all of them I enjoyed visiting and selling to them.
Some of them had their priorities a "tad" different than what I thought ought to be done.

We kept the money received from Avon in a separate bank account. When I had paid all my bills, and the money that was left, was ours to spend on "frills". Many things was purchased because of this account. Some that come to my mind, a pop-up camper, breakfront, remodeled upstairs. There were a lot of little projects, also.

There were a lot of humorous stories that came out of my selling Avon. So numerous, that I don't think I will write about them.

Wisdom--When the girls got older, I would purposely, leave dishes to be washed, beds to be made, so when I got home, I could see that they were learning to be self-reliant. Which is really what people all should eventually become.

No comments: