Saturday, July 11, 2009

4-H CLUB!

Of all the secular things that the girls participated in when they were young, I believe the 4-H club had the most lasting benefits.

The 4-H motto is "MAKE THE BEST BETTER". This was their goal with each project they took.

The 4-H pledge is:

My HEAD to clearer thinking,

My HEART to greater loyalty,

My HANDS to larger service,

My HEALTH to better living,

for my club, my community, and my country!

The girls were very busy taking many, many of the projects they offered. Without this organization, I probably would not know where to begin teaching all the "life skills" they learned.

They learned the correct way for baking, sewing, buying, decorating, flower arranging, etc. through trial and error and the projects they took. It was a year around kind of activity and culminated in the summer.

Stay tuned and I will tell you more in detail the projects they took and how they did on them.

Thought--It seems strange to me that the Government has cut back on funding 4-H (which has children busy learning constructive things and keeps them out of trouble), but they always have money for more prisons to put delinquents in when they get into trouble because of lack of things to do. Go figure!! This doesn't make sense to me.

2 comments:

Observer said...

I don't think there is a better environment for acquiring "life skills" than growing up on a farm! I was in 4H too, but I learned far more just living and working on a farm! Going to 4H meetings was what I did for fun!!

neumo_rus said...

I agree that living on the farm you learn life skills BIG TIME. Raising children in town, I needed that organization that 4-H provided to teach the girls the things I thought they needed to learn. It kept them busy with constructive "fun" things.