Wednesday, July 22, 2009

THAT SHIRT!!!

Have you ever seen something and it lingers in your head and when you see it again, you instantly recognize it?

Well, this was the case when we were driving back from a vacation. I was driving the car and a car was coming in the opposite direction. The man in the car had the window open and had his arm resting on the open window. As I was passing, I thought, THAT SHIRT! I KNOW THAT SHIRT! Funny, such an object of a shirt would attract your attention. Immediately, I knew who was driving. It was my brother and his family going on vacation to see our sister.

Now you might think I would recognize their car, but no they had purchased a new car and no way did I know the color or the make of the car. But, Oh that SHIRT! There was no other shirt in the world to compare it with. Nobody, but nobody could have a shirt as wild as that shirt, so that shirt belonged only to my brother. I slowed down and laid my hand on the horn in hopes that they would stop. This was a long shot, since they were traveling in the opposite direction. I guess, they recognized our car and us, also. We both stopped along the road and visited for awhile. This highway was no where near where we live and in another state. Just a chance meeting.

Wisdom--People are like that shirt, you leave an indelible impression on people. Make sure that the impression you are leaving is the one you want to make! We are not an island to ourselves!

6 comments:

Observer said...

I remember this occasion so well! And I also remember that shirt so well!

neumo_rus said...

I bet you do remember that incident so long ago! It was an unforgettable shirt!

Unknown said...

Normally my memory of events like this is excellent. I remember a shirt that would probably qualify as wild, and I remember that we got a new blue Fairlane 500 car in summer 1963, and that you had a white 1962 Fairlane at that time, but I don't remember an incident like this. Do you recall exactly where it was?

neumo_rus said...

We were traveling on I90 going East and you guys were traveling West. It was either in Minnesota or Western Wisconsin. You pinpointed the year as 1963. I knew it was when you dad had bought a new car and we would not of known the color or make.

neumo_rus said...

It was route 14 instead of I90 since we were on a 2 lane highway instead of interstate.

Observer said...

As I recall, this meeting occurred in Iowa, although I may be wrong about that. Dad would remember for sure! By the way, the shirt was green and brown with kind of a wild jaggedy pattern!