Thursday, July 23, 2009

BIG THOMPSON CANYON!

It seems to me there is a Red Rock Canyon close to the Rocky Mountains as you are coming into the mountains. I am not sure the exact location, but I know it has a rocky steam running through the Canyon and the highway follows the stream. I'm not sure if that is the name of the Canyon stream or not. We have slide pictures of this beautiful Canyon.

Well, we camped in a camp ground that was located right along this stream. I just am foggy on the year, as we were at the Rocky Mountains a lot. It is one of our favorite vacation spots.

The year that I remember the most was when we had camped there and days later there was a huge "gully washer" in the mountains. All the water that poured in the mountains came rushing down the side of the mountain and right into this stream. The campground was flooded and the steam was in flood stage within minutes. I'm just grateful that we weren't camping there when this happened. The evening news told about the peril of these campers. One does really have to think of the possibilities when you set up camp.

Thought--"All creation is an outstretched finger pointing toward God." From Our Daily Bread.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Are you talking about the Big Thompson River canyon flood of 1976 (near Estes Park, Colorado). That was the most devastating flood in my memory that matches your description. See http://www.super70s.com/Super70s/Tech/Nature/Disasters/Floods/76July31-Big_Thompson.asp

Observer said...

That's what I was wondering also. Beth and I drove through that canyon on our way to Rocky Mountain National Park when we were on our honeymoon in 1974. Then we heard several years later about the flood that killed several hundred people in that canyon!

neumo_rus said...

That does seem the correct name of the canyon. I know there were red rock formations and a river running through the canyon and the highway was following the river. The water in the river was not deep and there were large rocks that you could step out on. Thanks for the update on this. Since we traveled to the Rocky Mtns to get away from the July and August heat I wasn't sure the year this occurred.