Friday, September 4, 2009

MORE BANK EXPERIENCES!

It was the custom that tellers came in early before the bank opened and would go through the business deposits that were left overnight. This would fill our time up and then we would be ready to wait on the customers after nine A.M. One of my overnight deposit bags had a $1,000 more than they stated on the deposit slip. I called them up immediately, for I knew that whoever made the mistake would be short and really concerned where $1,000 went. A few weeks went by and if I didn't have another $1,000 too much in their overnight bag. I didn't rush to the phone to tell them immediately. I thought they need to sweat a little bit. When they came in that day, I told them about it. Someone surely needed to be more careful at that grocery store.

On another occasion, two walk-up teller windows were open after cut-off time (mine and another ladies). An old friend of her family came up to her window. Generally when he came in he was very friendly to her and outgoing. On this particular occasion, she couldn't get him to converse with her. He proceeded to take quite a bundle of cash from his savings account. He was quite elderly and was acting very strangely toward an old friend. She decided to phone the man's son to tell him what was transpiring and for him to go over to his dad's home to check him out. The son did and could not get a response from the father on why he was taking so much money out of his account. He wouldn't confide even with his own son. Finally the son got through to the father and the father broke down and related this: A man (stranger) approached the father and told him to take a large amount of money out and give it to this stranger, as he was helping the bank to see if the tellers were on the up and up! Truly a "SCAM" in process. If it were not for the alert teller and the son aborting the plan, the older man would have been duped out of his savings account.

One day I was waiting on this young lad. He was taking out a hefty sum of money from his savings account (a sizeable amount for a teenager). The son was high school age and happened to be a son of a local Judge. Since I had sold Avon to the Judge's wife, I was looking at the son and was wondering who he favored (his dad or mother). The mother came to my teller window yet that day and I casually mentioned about her son being in and I was wondering who he favored. She didn't say anything more, but the next day she called me up and thanked me for mentioning her son. She looked into why he was withdrawing money. Her son thought he lived in a fish bowl and couldn't get by with a thing without his parents knowing about it. So that is the life of a Judge's Son!

Thought--One really did get acquainted with a lot of nice people, and also some that were out to scam someone. When you work with money, what kind of mistakes does one make? One makes money mistakes. Doctors sometimes make a false diagnose and sometimes bury their mistakes. Everyone makes a few in their lifetime. I tried to keep mine down to a minimum.

No comments: