Tuesday, September 22, 2009

ANOTHER JOB!

Working in the bank was interesting, but when I heard about an opening in the Finance Office of the City, I decided to look into this job. You know it doesn't hurt to check out these things.
I did, and I was hired.

This was a job that required me to learn the old bookkeeping machines. It was interesting, even though I did miss being at the bank. During this time, the system took on a much more updated approach to how they kept their books. It went from those bookkeeping machines, to Burroughs L-8000, and then updated to computer, while I was there. Of course, the change-over to one system to another was a challenge. They had better benefits than what the bank offered. They also had a pension plan. This was a plus.

Our younger daughter had a checking account while in college and the bank was always very good about letting me know her standing. (I suppose it was because I had worked there and I had told them to keep me informed.) This way, we were able to see if we needed to put more money in so she could survive in college. She never was extravagant, so we were fortunate. Our older daughter's husband was working on his Masters and then his Doctorate degrees, so it seemed like everyone was going to school.

Thought--I did consider myself very fortunate that I was able to get back into the workforce after so many years that lapsed while I was raising our girls. God seemed to be in control and doors opened up and I walked through them.

No comments: