Saturday, September 12, 2009

MOM'S WEEKEND!!

It was always nice to visit our daughter while she was living in the 4-H house, but Mom's weekend was really "special".

The girls planned the weekend and took us to flower shows, etc. They would have tea time and even made their own crackers for this & cheese balls. They had well balanced meals for us that they cooked. They were learning to be good hostesses.

The 4-H house had three floors, each floor had many rooms. These rooms were to study and each room had enough desks & closets for 3 girls to store their belongings and study in. They had on each floor a huge room solely for sleeping. One could go in there and sleep and not be disturbed. The state law said that this room had be unheated and the window open even in the dead of winter. I'm sure it was just cracked open a tiny bit when it got cold, however.

This is where they would have the mothers sleep on mom's weekend. Our daughter's bunk was on top and no matter how hard I tried, I couldn't manage to get up on that top bunk. The girls were behind me trying to hoist me up. The more they pushed, the more I laughed, and the more I laughed, the weaker I got. I finally made it to the top of the bed, however. In the mornings I always get up early. There I was way up high and how was I going to get down from this perch? I started laughing again, everyone was sound asleep. I managed somehow. It is easier to come down than to go up!

On one mom's weekend, I thought those girls didn't know it was way past bedtime. I know it must have been one in the morning, and I was getting tired. My daughter said to me, "Mom you can go to bed but I have to go over and make cookies for the next day". Remember these girls did all their own cooking and each had a specific job that had to be done. I told her, "No way am I going to bed, we both will go over and make cookies and then we both can go to bed". This particular year she was living in the 4-H annex. Only the girls in the Junior/Senior year of college was privileged to live here. A widow lived downstairs and rented out her rooms upstairs to the 4-H house girls.

The 4-H had a house mother that lived in the house and she had separate quarters. She was quite the queen, as she didn't have much to do, but I'm sure she had an ear to listen, when any girl needed to talk about a problem they were having.

Thought--Good friends and memories were created during those years for our daughter and all the mothers that visited.

No comments: