Friday, April 24, 2009

SECOND THOUGHTS!!!

We were getting everything completed for the "BIG DAY" and it was the Friday before the Sunday we were to be married. My husband was making sure we had enough money along on our trip to the Smoky Mountains, and was thinking out loud, "I have my paycheck and you just got paid today"-----

"Oh but", I said and continued, "I have spent all my paycheck"! In all seriousness he said, "I DON'T KNOW IF I CAN AFFORD YOU"! Can you imagine me being a big spend thrift? Unless, I had different SPOTS in those days than I do now!!

I was working at General Motors in the office payroll department, and I had just gotten paid, but during the week I had purchased a lot of undergarments, lingerie things since this was the last things I would purchase because I had all I could do to get the outer garments paid for, let alone the garments that didn't show. I learned fast after getting my first job--that dad's money went further than mine. I was on my own now and when the paycheck ran out, I stopped buying things. Unlike kids today, they keep buying whether they have any money or not. I never had any debts to my name but women's salaries weren't up to men's salaries in those days. They didn't have personal showers like they do today for girls, so I thought it was time for me to splurge on unmentionables since mine were rather "Lacy" and that not in a good way. I did have a cedar chest, a sewing machine, Silverware, pots and pans and a few things collected for a "Hope Chest". That was IT!! Our church had a shower, but showers in those days weren't like they were today. You used what they gave you, and you didn't register for things, etc. I was truly grateful for the things that people gave me at the shower and for wedding presents.

Well, he got over that initial shock and the wedding took place, with his mother in charge of the reception.

Thought--Working for General Motors at the time, I would have never dreamed that they would be in such trouble as they are today. They were going "great guns" and I was working overtime on Saturday, just to keep the work up. It was an honor to work at this company. How 59 years can change things around!!!! They also had "cost of living" checks during the year. This would go up or down accordingly.

Oh yes, he soon learned that I was not indulgent spender after all!!!

No comments: