Thursday, April 9, 2009

MURDER SHE WROTE!

You know that you not in Kansas when somebody you know, turns up murdered. In my small world back on the farm, nothing like this ever happened. You trusted your neighbors, everybody knew everybody and one felt quite safe. I don't think they locked doors back then. Of course, we didn't go anyplace, so no need to lock doors. However, I did when I went to a larger place to live. I had a close friend say that she never ever locked her doors, even to this day and lives in the same city we lived during our married life.

One Friday at work, this girl that I worked with, came in and picked up her paycheck. She had been on vacation and needed money. I asked her if she was having a good time. She said that she was and had laid away that week a fur coat for the winter ahead. (This was when nobody thought anything about fur coats being wrong to wear). The year was 1945, and the month was August of that year.

On the Monday following she was to come back from her vacation. There was a "No Show" and we wondered WHY! A few hours later, we learned that she had been murdered in a State Park close to the city we lived in. She had gone to a ball game in the afternoon with her parents and the young man that took her life yet that same evening. What a tragedy!!! The papers were full of the story. He later was convicted of murdering her. I don't think they ever disclosed the motive. This girl was about 19 years of age and had her whole life ahead of her. A few years prior to this, her sister had drowned in a boating accident on the lake. These deaths were nearly too much for any one set of parents to have to go through!!!! The girl was a niece of our mailman when I was growing up. My heart still goes out to this family to this day.

Wisdom--Only God could give peace to these grieving parents, so many years ago. I'm sure he had to teach them about forgiveness, also. Hard, hard, hard to do!!!!! Philippians 4:7 says, And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.

*Post note--The boy was sentenced and later got out on parole and started a barber shop of his own close by. He was killed in an automobile accident quite a few years later. He wasn't very old when the accident occurred. If I recall correctly, he was about 35 years old when he died.

No comments: