Wednesday, April 8, 2009

"INCH IS AS GOOD AS A MILE"

It was sometime around 1946 that my roommate and her boyfriend was going to the State Fair and they asked me if I would like to go with them. Of course, when the car is going somewhere, I always want to go.

My roommates boyfriend worked night shifts and asked me to drive home, since his girlfriend didn't know how to drive. I said, I would.

On the way home, I probably (I know) was driving too fast, but a car at a side road waited until I got right up the the intersection and they decided to pull out in front of me. I guess they misjudged how fast I was driving. They saw that they couldn't make it and stopped across both lanes of highway. I swerved since if I didn't I would have hit their car broadside. I quickly stepped on the brake and 1/2 of my foot was on the foot feed. Not a very good plan. I held on tight to my steering wheel and was able to dodge them. It was one of those miracle things that I bet those people that were in the other car will never forget either. If I had broadsided them, I'm confident there would have been some casualties. (God was watching out for some stupid young people that day).

I kept driving until I had a blowout in one of the tires, and I was so shaken up, I couldn't drive no longer. Two bad things in one trip did me in. To this day, I am keenly aware of people that are waiting on a side road, I think they will decide to drive out at the last minute and I would be faced with this situation again.

Wisdom--Trials make us think; thinking makes us wise; wisdom makes life profitable. (Our daily Bread)

No comments: