Monday, April 27, 2009

FIRST SPAT!!

We had one week for our honeymoon to the Smoky Mountains and on the way back, we arrived back where we rented our apartment and it was straight up noon. My husband wanted to go home and fix dinner there. I didn't want to because, I hadn't shopped for any groceries and didn't even have salt and pepper in the cupboards. I wanted our first cooked dinner to be something "very special". He was just being practical. Clash!!!

We were going by this grocery store (mom and pop store) and who should be coming out of the store, but my husbands mother. She was all smiles and invited us to her house for dinner! She saved our marriage!!! Oh, I'm just being dramatic, but it solved our problem.

Also, it was the very first time I had ever been away from home that nobody knew where we were at any given moment. I thought my parents could have died and buried, and we wouldn't know about it. We didn't think that we could have used a telephone to check things out. In those days, we only called long distance when it was an emergency. My mother's-in-law smile told all was well on the home front that day. Looking back on this, I was really rather silly, don't you think!!!

Later in our marriage we took off camping on trips and no one knew how to contact us. All they knew was what direction we were headed toward. I must have grown up a bit. This was 59 years ago. How time has flown by.

Thought--I have found out that the things that I loved about my husband way back 59 years ago, is still as strong today as then. The things I didn't much care for (yes, everyone has a few) are still as strong today as way back then. Like, my husband isn't particular what I fix him to eat, but he wants to eat it ON TIME. So when it is NOON, it's time to eat!!! He is so dependable and says what he means and means what he says. This is something that I have appreciated down through the years. He is always prompt! You can set your watch by it. He is as honest as the day is long! His word you always can count on. I love this about him still. I'm more out-going and he could be a little more out-going, but I learned one never changes the other, we just accept each other.

No comments: