Wednesday, April 22, 2009

THE DATE IS SET!

The year was 1950 and we became engaged and set the date for May 14, 1950. This happened to be on Mother's day, but it was the only date we could find that we could get my vacation dates, his vacation dates and our Pastor available to marry us, coordinated on the same day and week. So . . . . . . . , May 14Th was it.

We didn't want a big wedding, but just a few. We set the time at 2 O'clock that day, so if someone wanted to come they could, but they would really have to make an effort to come, since it was on Mother's Day. I'm not sure how many did come, but 60 seems to be in my mind.

My husband proposed to me after he had picked me up at my parents home one week-end. This was about in March of 1950. You can see that we didn't have much time to prepare, but most weddings back in those days weren't very elaborate and so we didn't need much time for preparations.

I wasn't planning on a reception, so there wasn't much other things to think about. We did have to hunt a place to live and where we would go on a honeymoon.

Thought--It seemed that even with a short time to prepare, it all worked out quite well. Tomorrow I will tell you more about that.

No comments: