Thursday, April 23, 2009

PLANNING THE MONTHS AHEAD!

Since we didn't have much time, we searched for an apartment. A family from our church happened to have an apartment to rent that consisted the entire upstairs to their home. We thought it was nice and had plenty of room. It consisted of--kitchen, living room, alcove, dining room, bedroom, private bath, front porch on 2nd level, 2 closets, front and back entrances.

Now we had to go out and find furniture to fill this space. We went out on a Monday night (stores remained open that night), and purchased new the following--Gas stove, refrigerator, bedroom suite, davenport & chair, 2 end tables, coffee table, desk, and 12 X 12 living room carpet and this was all done from 5--to store closing. We had money (well I didn't have any money so I should have said HE had money) to pay cash for these items. If I had to do it all over again, I would have taken my time to pick out these items, but we did a good job anyway.

Now we had to decide where we were going on that honeymoon! You know I hadn't done much traveling, so wherever we went would be an adventure! We settled on "The Smoky Mountains" in Gatlinburg, Tn.

Since it was a small informal wedding, I just picked out a simple attire. It however, cost $100 back then. No small chunk of change. It happened to be designer outfit and that is why it cost so much.

My dad said he would give me $25.00 for a reception, if I wanted one. I know what you are thinking--NO WAY--but my future mother-in-law said she would take care of all of the arrangements and she stayed within the budget. Remember what $20 bought in groceries when I told dad we didn't have food. There were no end to the sacks of groceries he purchased that day.

Things were moving along quite well--BUT . . . . . . Read about that BUT tomorrow.

Tribute to my Future Mother-in-law--My husband was in the service and since his mother was widowed at a young age, my husband would get extra money to send home to his mother each month he got paid. Instead of using this money for herself, she squirrelled it away to give to him when he returned. She was self reliant and had a true mother's attitude!!! She also, knew how to stretch that dollar to go further than anybody I know of. This is how my husband was able to pay cash for all that furniture we bought that night. Also, as a wedding present from his mother, she got us a used dining room suite. (six chairs, table, buffet). My parents bought a washer for us as a wedding present. We were very fortunate, indeed!

No comments: