Tuesday, April 28, 2009

BLENDED LIVES!!!

When people get married each one brings into the marriage some baggage and some good qualities and then they try to start a blended new life.

It really wasn't that hard for my husband and myself, since we basically had the same values and very similar background. It was just the little things that we had to work out, like squeezing the toothpaste. I would squeeze it in the middle, and he would roll it at the end and put a rubber band on it so it didn't unroll.

Of course, it is the little things that you jump out at you at first. Like when I opened the medicine cabinet and there was shaving supplies instead of "girls things".

I had rescued him from being a ("set in his ways") confirmed bachelor. He was rather used to getting along with women, since he lived at home after he came back from the service. His mother trained him well, as he always took out the trash and helped around the house at home. When I started washing dishes, he would grab a towel and start drying them. I did not have to ask him to help, he was already trained to be thoughtful. I am most thankful for his mother's foresight in this matter. He had a sister, so he knew how to get along with her, so I guess he was prepared to blend with someone else in his life.

Since I was working, this was really a plus in adjusting to each other. I really feel sorry for the guys that had their mother wait on them hand in foot and come into a marriage thinking their wife will become their second mother. Men need to carry their weight around the home and it should start from day one.

The more people are different, the harder it is to adjust to a new life together. The first Sunday came and he said it it time to go to Sunday School. I was kinda laid back and chose the Sunday's I went to Sunday School. I liked that about him, because he was the "spiritual leader" in our household. There were other things that was hard for him to make up his mind on, and I was used to a strong decisive man (my father) that decisions were easy for him to make. It took patience on my part to wait for him to make up his mind. I am the kind that decisions isn't that difficult to make and it was hard for me to wait on his pondering over decisions.

Wisdom--The bible contains all the nutrients for a healthy relationship.

No comments: