Saturday, January 24, 2009

PEARLY WHITE CITY!

I got an e-mail yesterday and want you to go to youtube to hear Neth sing and play Pearly White City. http://www.youtube.com/ /watch?v=5TJlt58t7Q (beautifully done Annita)
Hope this will take you to her recording of Pearly White City!

This brings me to a a story that happened just a couple years ago. We were vacationing with our oldest daughter and husband at one of their time-share condos. Since my husband and I are not savvy on flying and connecting up with planes we left all that part up to my daughter. She couldn't get us on the same plane as her and her husband, but did get connections where they were compatible. My husband had fallen and had broken his wrist and was wearing a steel bar between bones so the wrist could heal. This and with heart problems we were able to have wheel chairs available to and from connections.

We had a great time in Florida since it was in January and that sure is a good place to be during that time of the year. The way it turned out, there was a non-stop flight directly to Orlando, Florida for the 4 of us on the way down. PTL! On the way back we were scheduled again to be on separate planes. They loaded the wheelchair people first, and then the regular people flying later. We were all settled in and I looked up and who should I see, but our son-in-law and daughter boarding the same plane. This truly was a miracle in itself, that they were flying both ways non-stop on the same planes. Originally both flights were to fly to Atlanta, Ga. and then transferred to another plane.

On the return trip it took a little over 2 hours to fly from Orlando to Chicago nonstop (1100 miles) and from Chicago to our destination (100 miles) it took 5 hours.

We had just got up in the air from Chicago to our final destination and there was an EXPLOSION in the back of the plane (right under my son-in-laws and daughters seat). The cabin to the plane filled with smoke, bits and pieces were flying around in the cabin and it was getting difficult to breathe. Our kids said that the floor and side walls to their seats were extremely hot.

No explanation was given over the intercom, but the pilots were trying to radio the tower back at O'hare that they needed to come back for an emergency landing.

During this time, I was thinking how God had helped my husband going and coming to be on the same flights with our kids and He knew about the explosion that was about to take place. Calmness took over my being. I did look at my husband and thought that sure wasn't going to be good for his broken arm if we crashed. On second thought, I thought that sure wasn't going to be good for ANY OF US, if we crashed!

I wasn't sure that we would make it to our earthly home or we were going to that "Pearly White City" that Neth is singing about on U-tube.

We did land safely. Many of the passengers would not go on another plane, and got another way home for the last 100 miles. My thought was, what are the chances this thing happening back to back! We arrived safely home 5 hours later.

The pilot (after landing) said that he had flown 20 years and never had an emergency landing other than someone took sick and had to land for this purpose but not malfunction of the plane.

What was wrong you asked? The way I understand it, the converter box that takes the energy to run the air conditioning and heating , exploded and caught on fire and this is what caused the smoke and heat. The explosion caused a small hole in the floor and insulation was flying in the cabin. I couldn't understand why the oxygen masks were not coming down. I guess, fire and oxygen doesn't mix too well. Or maybe, they mix all TOO WELL.

Wisdom today--Be ready to meet your maker, as we know not what a day will bring forth.

No comments: