Sunday, January 4, 2009

HOW MY MOTHER AND FATHER MET!

My dad was born and raised on an eighty acre farm (purchased and owned by grandparents) a quarter of a mile west of where I was born. He was from a large family (6 boys and 3 girls). Two of the brothers died in childhood. In the fall of the year the boys were kept home from school to help harvest the crops. This was the custom in those days. My grandparents were immigrants and spoke German in the home until my dad was 6 years of age. My dad was 2nd oldest child and learned to bake bread at a very early age (like 6 years old). He helped with tending the smaller children. He washed clothes and did a lot of housework and farmwork.

He was about 23 years of age when he met my mother.

My mother's best friend was dating my father's best friend. The best friends thought that dad and mom would be just right for each other and their personalities would a good match and balance.

They went on this blind date that the best friends arranged. Well, they dated for about a year and were married December 7, 1912. Dad was 24 years of age, my mother was 26 years old when they married.

During their courtship, it took my dad one hour by horse and buggy to go 10 miles to see my mother. This was with the horse in a trot all the way. He would put hot bricks wrapped up in a blanket to keep his feet warm. The horse knew the way home and would get home while dad tried to get some shut-eye.

My mother was very pretty and my dad was handsome and it didn't take them long to decide that they were right for each other, also.

Wisdom of the day--I think they both made "wise" choices as they eventually were quite the team.

2 comments:

Berjo said...

We sure are happy that they got together so we could be around! How old was Grandma when they met?

neumo_rus said...

She must have been 25 years old when they met, since she was 26 when they married. She was 2 years older that dad, but lived 20 years after dad passed away.