Tuesday, January 13, 2009

BROWN AS A BERRY!!

When I went to the town school I had to go a month longer than the one room country school. They let the country school out the end of April and town school let out the end of May. I imagine the country school let out early, because most of the kids had to help on the farm.

My sister was already going to Business School and wasn't at home. She knew that by the time I was going to graduate from grade school, I would already be "BROWN AS A BERRY". She instructed me to stay out of the sun so I wouldn't be so brown when I graduated. "Suntan" wasn't the "IN" thing she thought. Well, I don't know how brown I got, but I did graduate and had a rose colored lace graduation dress (which I still own). My grandchildren when they were in junior high just fit my dress that I wore.

Well that summer she invited the girls, that owned the house where she rented an one room apartment, out to visit us on the farm. Well, I found out that city girls laid out in the sun even way back then to get a tan. They so-ooooo loved my tan and wished they had a tan like mine. Of course, I didn't try to get a tan, I just happened to be outside a lot and got the tan automatically. Then my sister started looking at my tan quite a bit differently after that.

The girls mother was raising her daughters and son by herself and could barely make a go of it, even though she had a good job at the hospital. She rented out an apartment to make ends meet. The mother trusted my sister and had her watch over her 3 girls while she was working.
They were absolutely beautiful girls, but they had very little in the way of material things. They too went through the depression, but didn't have to resources that farm people had. Tough years for everyone!

Wisdom today--The grass always looks greener on the other side of the fence.

1 comment:

Berjo said...

I loved your graduation dress! It was probably the fanciest dress you ever had!It still looks good after all these years! Mary