Wednesday, January 28, 2009

CARDS AND O'HENRYS!

My dad liked to play cards for recreation. Since my mother didn't allow a deck of cards in the house, he would go to town on rainy days and play with fellow farmers in the area and loaf away visiting and playing. In order to play they bought so many chips at the store (the cost was very low). He probably got 10 chips for a dime (I am strictly guessing on this).

Then each time he would win a game, he would collect chips from the ones he was playing with. He was really a good player, and at the end of the afternoon, he would exchange his gained chips for O'Henry Candy bars.

He would bring the candy bars home and immediately my mother would ask if they were bought with the chip money. My dad would tell if they were. She wouldn't eat any if that was the case. As children, we thought they tasted pretty good. I guess, if this was the only "vice" that my dad had, it wasn't so bad. He never took up gambling.

My sister and I really have a competitive spirit and we like a good card game. She plays to WIN
and I give her a run for her money (so to speak). No we don't play for any money. I do think it keeps both of our minds "sharp". I try to do puzzles, etc in the paper daily, so I keep my mind active and alert. I hate to think that someday I might not know what day it is, or even care less.

Some wise old sayings--Forgive your enemies. It messes up their heads.
Don't judge folks by their relatives, after all they didn't get to pick em.

No comments: