Monday, June 15, 2009

"PAD AND NEUMO"

I guess this is as good a time as any, to tell you how we started being called "PAD" and me "NEUMO".

Each year my sister would come and bring her two boys and visit for a week or two. During that time, we were usually privileged to have our other two nephews part of that time.

This particular year, they drove down with an additional critter. They had a very, very, sick Guinea Pig and it was about to die. We collectively got busy and nursed that Guinea Pig back to good health, with hot water bottles, etc.

After this incident, the kids would call me "Doc Neumo, for my heroic accomplishment. It stuck like glue and I have been called that ever since.

I think Neumo is taken from a Spanish word, they then started calling their dad "Padre'"
and "Pad" for short.

Now you know more than you wanted to know. Thanks for asking, however! You do have a good memory!

Wisdom--When you name someone, always check out what the initials spells or might spell after they change their name. Like if you have Frederick picked out, and Larry for the middle name. If you last name is Young, this might not be the greatest choice, since they might be called "FLY" all their life. It could get even worse that that. Of course, one doesn't know what their married name might become, but think of the possibilities and go from there.

2 comments:

Observer said...

I looked up "Neumo" on-line and with Google language tools, but I couldn't find a translation for it! Do you have any idea what it means? Every time I hear of nicknames, I remember the old Charlie Brown comic strip where Charlie wishes he had a nickname; something like, "FLASH"!! How funny!!

neumo_rus said...

I think one of the girls was studying Spanish and neumo is one or something like that. They called me Doc Neumo as I was #1 doctor. I might not be spelling it correctly. Maybe,uno is one.
Maybe they needed to study Spanish a trifle more. Padre' means father in Spanish. Well, at least I think it does.