Wednesday, December 24, 2008

POCKETS, POCKETS EVERYWHERE!

This is the day that most children are looking for the man in the red suit to come to their house over night. He always is jolly and has a big round belly that shakes like jello. As I had mentioned earlier, this is one childhood memory that I didn't have, BUT - - - - - - - -

I did have a man that I looked up to in my life as a child. That was my dad!!!! He wasn't round, but tall (6 ft tall), handsome and just the right built. I can't remember a time that he would not allow us to sit on his lap. He might have been reading a paper and engrossed in the latest news, but we always knew that we could climb under the paper and on his lap whenever we wanted. He really enjoyed his children. I guess after waiting so long for us to arrive, he wanted to cherish each moment.

As a farmer, my dad had umpteen pockets in his overalls. Each pocket had something to explore. He was such a kind gentle man and never got ruffled easily, that we wanted to never disappoint him in our actions. He wasn't necessarily demonstrative, but showed his love in the way he responded to our needs as children.

Our son-in-law's mother mentioned that her dad was so kind, that it was easy to know what our heavenly father is like, by the example of her earthly father. This is exactly the way I felt about my father.

Dad was indeed one that I held in high esteem. He was so---ooo easy to talk with and discuss anything that we were concerned with.

Wisdom of the day--Relationships and not "things" build the right memories.

No comments: