Friday, December 5, 2008

CHRISTMAS--LONG, LONG AGO!

We always had a Christmas program at our school. This was always something that everyone participated in our one room school house. We had a white sheet to partition the stage off. Not much talent was evident in this event but we had fun.

No one had any money to spend on decorations, gifts, or what we think is essential, but we heard the real meaning of Christmas, which was Christ (God himself) came down and was born in a manger for the purpose to to die on a cross (our substitute) to save lost sinners.

My mother would make cookies, fudge with black walnuts, popcorn balls, etc. My mother did not believe that she wanted to tell us about Santa Claus, because she thought it was a lie. Lying was prohibited in any form or imagination with her. If we asked her a question, and she wouldn't answer the question, then you knew the answer, because she would never, never tell a "white lie" to appease a person. Black was black with her and white was white and the two didn't mix.

We would get oranges, apples, bananas, nuts, candy, and those infamous chocolate drops at Christmas. Remember money was scarce and times were hard in those days. These things were a real treat.

Esther and I got a doll one year I remember. One year I got a little baking set that I longed for so much. Any other gifts were so small that I can't remember. We were happy with what we got and didn't think we were cheated out of anything. Most children in those years were in the same boat, and did not expect much. Their parents were struggling to have enough daily food and shelter, not any big things at Christmas. I know this seems foreign to the average person today.

We did not have a tree. We did have colored lights at the window. One year I wanted a tree so bad that I had my dad cut a branch off of the evergreen tree and bring it in to decorate. I was so proud of that tree.

We were "happy campers" and was thankful for what we did get. No regrets of any kind on my part. I think it made me know what really is important in life, by such humble beginnings.

Today's Wisdom-- "Wise men still seek Christ!"

No comments: