Tuesday, December 30, 2008

I HAD TWO MOMS!!

This doesn't sound too absurd today. Well our household was up to date in that area. I did have 2 mothers. One mother that was quite strict in her approach to my raising me and my other mother gave me the keys to the family car at that tender age of 10.

When I was born, and after the shoke of me coming in that black bag, I guess my mother told my sister (5 years old) that they both could help raise me. That I was her baby as well. Well, she took this literally and she had a live baby to play with, feed, diaper and whatever babies did in those days. She claimed that she enjoyed the process.

I've been told, but do not remember, that when she was feeding me my milk, that she would drink a little herself just to make sure it was good. The formula was Eagle Brand, which you still can buy. I know it is good to the taste, as I just made some fudge with it this month. I would cry and my mother would see what was happening. So that's the reason I am so undernourished today!!!!!!

This year we saw scenes of Sarah Palin's six year caring for her young sibling. What stands out and was adorable, was when she licked her hand and then slicked the baby's hair down. How sweet and innocent this scene was. She was so unaware of such a vast audience and just making sure that the hair laid down correctly. What a darling little girl!

I do think that this was a wise decision to have my sister involved, and then there was no rivalry
from the very start. My mother certainly did have her hands full, with 3 children under the age of 5 and all the work that she did besides just parenting. So you can see that I truly did have two mothers.

One mother would tell me there was a whole attic full of toys and I would just dream about them and want to get them down. The other mother (no nonsense approach) would not stand for any lying and punctured my bubble. I liked the first story better, and kept on dreaming about the attic full of toys. Maybe, just maybe, my older mother was telling the truth after all. However, a little pretending once in awhile is fun, and unharmful.

Tomorrow I will tell you of the toys that we did have to play with.

Wisdom for today--Mothers, involve your older children in the care of the siblings. This helps them bond with the new arrival.

No comments: