Saturday, December 27, 2008

DAD'S TRUCKS!

This is December 27 and it it about 57 degree outside and going higher today. The last week it has been a "bummer" as an ice storm whirled through. Ice is all gone and I know I am showing my age, but am I glad!! We had so much ice that our son-in-law labored to chip off and then another blast of ice covered our driveway. We drove our car to the mail box each day while the ice was so thick for fear of falling and breaking a bone. The mailbox is only at the end of our drive.

Yesterday I mentioned that my dad had trucks all during the time I was growing up. These were very valuable on the farm to haul things. But the memory I wanted to tell you about was when he would haul loads of cattle, hogs to Chicago for the farmers in the community. They would schedule these trips ahead of time and it usually was on the first day of the week for the stock yards sales. Come rain or high water (mostly snow and ice), he would be on schedule and carry out his commitment. Many, many times I saw him leave for Chicago in very hazard weather conditions. Since this was mostly done during the severe winter months, and weather was very unpredictable, I would worry as a child that he would make it up and back safely. It was during these times, as a child, I learned to trust in God for his safety. He never had any mishaps or accidents, even though I would see him go in foggy conditons and icy roads.

He always said, that he would much rather drive in Chicago in his large truck, than drive in a car up there. The reason was that other cars stayed their distance and did not want to tangle with a truck full of animals.

Todays wisdom--God hears the simplest prayer, even from a small child.

No comments: