Friday, December 26, 2008

MODE OF COMMUNICATION/TRANSPORTATION!!

Our world when I was a child was limited in our communication to the outside world. We always had a car, and dad had trucks down through the growing up years. Of course, there weren't any television, internet, computers, blackberries, I-pod, that one has available today.

We always had a telephone (a MUST if you live in the country). It was one of those that hung on the wall and when you wanted to call, you had to turn a crank to get Central. She then would ring the party that you wanted to speak to. We were on a party line, and when the telephone rang, others would pick up the telephone and eavesdrop on the latest news/gossip. Our telephone number was a short and two longs. One had to listen carefully, so to know who they were calling.

When I was in high school we could call our friends up and talk, (with all the bored housewives listening), and when an important call came through, the telephone operator would cut in and tell us that we had to get off the line, as someone important wanted to use it. A way of life for us, so we got off the telephone. I could have talked with my friends all day, if that rule wasn't inforced.

We had a battery radio and then an electric radio after we were wired for electricity. The battery radio was rationed out, because we feared the batteries would go dead. When we got electricity, my mother insisted we get a radio that carried WMBI. If we couldn't get that station we would buy one that would get that station. It was a Christian station out of Chicago (Moody Bible Institute). The radio was "glued" to this station, from morning til evening. My mother would so enjoy their music, sermons, as she did her daily work. I believe, this is why her work was never drudgery to her.

Traveling in those days were limited to short trips. Long trips (like 100 miles) were rare. Each
year we would go visit my aunt and uncle that lived 100 miles away. This was an EVENT in our young life. Oh, by the way, the town they lived in, is the town that we are living today in. Who would have dreamed we would end up here, of all places. That is another story on another day.

I had only been in 2 states by the time I was 18 years of age. The other state we traveled to was only 10 miles from our house, so go figure why we traveled in 2 states. Our grandchildren bop around from city to city, and travel abroad.

There were buses and trains, but did not travel on these until I was 18 and over.

On another day, I will tell you more about my dad and his trucks.

Wisdom for the day--How thankful I am for the station WMBI, I was able to listen to "Aunt Theresa" and other children's programs. D. L. Moody was the founder and back of this station. You know that the Gospel was preached. The bible (God's Holy Word) is the same, yesterday, today and always.

No comments: