Sunday, December 7, 2008

DATES IN HISTORY TO REMEMBER!

Do you remember what happened 67 years ago on December 7, 1941? I know, some of you weren't born yet, but you have read about it in history books that Pearl Harbor in Hawaii was bombed (about 8 AM). I was 15 years old and didn't learn of it until dad turned on Gabriel Heater (News commentator) about 6 o'clock Central time. Dad jumped up from his chair and said, "We are in WAR!!!". I thought we would be bombed in our country. I think some of the people on the West coast did wonder if they would strike again on the Pacific side of the US soon after. Four years was a long, long black era in our history.

I've read a number of books written on World War II and there was nothing even remotely pretty about war. Among the books I've read were D Day, Wild Blue Yonder, Citizen Soldiers, all written by Stephen E. Ambrose. Also, Battle of Iwo Jima by James Bradley (son of the flag raiser). Some of the language isn't very pretty, but pales compared to the magnitude and horror
of the battles that took place in the war and what our Service Men experienced!!! Any one of those books are worth the read, if you haven't read them. One really appreciates the freedom that these men fought for and a lot gave their lives for. Hats off to all our Service Men and Women who fight and preserve our freedom!!!!! Thank you from the bottom of my heart if you were among those people.

Later in my writings I will tell you more about this era in our history.

Do you know what happened 96 years ago December 7, 1912? Well, I didn't think you would know the answer to this one, so I will tell you. My mother and dad were married on this day in 1912. Dad had a sense of humor and when December 7th was the day World War II broke out, he said, "All great wars start on December 7." He was only joking, because they both got along really well. I don't remember them even in a heated argument of any nature.

Long after dad had passed away, my mother needed proof of her age for some legal work, and I had to go to the court house to look up this information. They were married by the Justice of the Peace. When I went to get the copy of this, the thought came to my mind, wouldn't it be funny if I found out something I never knew about them. The clerk at the courthouse looked at the copy and started to smile. I didn't look at it until I got home. There in black and white was that my dad had married 2 women on the same day!!

I gave mom the papers and told her that Dad had really gotten around that day they were married and married 2 women. Her reply was, "Well I don't know how he could have done that since we were together the entire day." I think what had happened was that the Justice of the Peace had filled the top of the paper out and had them sign it and then later after he collected a number of these, filled out the bottom part of the same sheet. He picked up another persons name and wrote it on the same sheet by mistake. They were happily married for 42 years when he died in 1954 (one month before my 2nd daughter was born).

Wisdom of the day--Thank a Service Man today for protecting our freedom. They deserve our respect!!!!

No comments: