Monday, December 8, 2008

BUILDINGS ON THE FARM WHERE I GREW UP!.

First of all, I have a correction to make about James Bradley book. The title of that book is "Flag of our Fathers", not Battle of Iwo Jima. This book is not for the weak of heart but will make you more patriotic than ever before, after you read it.

Beside the house we had the infamous out house, milk house (that stored the cold trough I spoke of earlier), tool shed/garage, large barn, corn crib, implement shed, chicken house, brooder house, Wash house, corn/coal house. We had a windmill by the milk house. I think that was it basicly. This was a typical of the farms in our area.

A few weeks ago we were going to visit my cousin and took a side trip by the farm where I grew up. All the buildings are no longer there and instead of a gravel road, it is a black top road. The home and farm of my grandparents is no longer there, as well as a number of farm homes & buildings around on that road are gone. Even the school house had been torn down. Just memories of all of this remain vivid in my head. I guess, this is why I am trying to preserve a few of these for future generations.

Today's wisdom--God's highest Gift awakens our deepest gratitude.

No comments: