Thursday, December 18, 2008

MY DISAPPOINTMENT--LEFT BEHIND!

I heard on the Today show about a modern day Frugal Family. They were interviewing this couple and 3 of their children. Because of their frugal living, they got their house paid off in 8 years and seemed to have it all together. They even had their children involved in "good deals" and values that seem to be lost in our society today. They were labeled as tightwads, stingy or frugal. They are writing a book about how to economize so that one has enough for all their needs and budgeting for future needs. Back in my day, this lifestyle was the normal, rather than unusual. At least people in that era was "forced" into this lifestyle since money was scarce.

I mentioned that I was going to write about my disappointment when I was 6 or 7 years old. My dad decided to take my sister and my brother to the Worlds Fair in Chicago. Since my mother didn't want to go and dad had only 2 hands to hang on to 2 children, I was left behind. I remember standing there crying and watching the car leave without me.

My mother had promised me, that we would get a Banana Split the next time we went to the town where there was a really fancy "Ice Cream Parlor". That seemed to console me as they left. This was our "special treat" for not getting to go to the Fair.

They left early after chores were completed and took their lunch with them. I learned about the Worlds Fair second hand. They arrived home yet that day. The year was 1933 (in the depth of depression years).

My mother indeed kept her promise to me and I remember eating a huge "Banana Split" in this fancy (and it truly was a fancy ice cream parlor even in todays standard). We had just been served our Banana Splits, when who should appear in the ice cream place, is my sister and brother. They were disappointed that they weren't included in this "splurge". One must remember that this was in the depth of depression years and truly was a splurge to get to go to the Worlds Fair and or/the "Fancy Ice Cream Parlor".

Wisdom of today--Disappointments are part of life! One thing that we can be sure of, God doesn't ever disappoint us! Down through the years I have found out that Christ truly is "Our Rock" and we can trust Him for our future!

No comments: