Friday, February 27, 2009

"PATTERNS FOR LIVING"

Yesterday I wrote about getting up and speaking to people in a crowd. It brings back memories of when my two girls were young.

Every year our church we attended had a mother and daughter banquet. They would have guest speaker and mother and daughter tributes. Well this particular year they asked me if I would do the mother response. My older daughter was asked to sing in a trio for the event, so they asked my younger daughter to give the daughter's speech. My older daughter probably was about 14-15 at the most and my younger daughter was about 11-12. I am guessing on the exact age they were.

I suppose they asked me to give this speech at this banquet because the theme was "Patterns for Living". It centered around sewing, etc. The program actually was a pouch just like a pattern you purchase at the store. Inside the envelope was the program. Picture of versions of a dress that one could make on the cover of the envelope.

I can't remember too much of what I said, but I do remember a bit of what my younger daughter said in her tribute. I will try to tell you the zest of the speech below.

"Mothers come in all sizes, colors, and personalities. It just so happens that God gave me a plump lovable one." Then she went on to tell all the various hats that mothers have to wear.
"They are cook, chauffeur, counseler, referee, teacher, etc." She went on to tell about her mother in particular. "It wasn't my mothers fault that I happen to draw from the bowl of duties, scrubbing the tub, washing the dishes, etc." She really did an excellent job with her portion of the program. She told how I had led her to the Lord.

You remember what I was like when the lights were on and all ears was waiting for me to speak! For such a young girl, I was just amazed at her ability to communicate her thoughts without freaking out the way I had done.

Of course, it did help that both of the daughters had private lessons on public speaking and voice. Now who could possibly give them so much training, you ask? No other than Dick Van Dyke's drama teacher when he was in high school. No wonder she was cool, calm and collected.

Wisdom--Step out of your box and do things people ask you to do, you never know but that it will be something God wants, and He will help you.

1 comment:

Berjo said...

I owe it all to Kathyrn Randolph!!!
Mary