Wednesday, February 4, 2009

MY "OTHER MOM"--My sister!

On previous writings, I have mentioned about my sister and comments of what it was like growing up. Today I want to concentrate on her as an adult.

My sister after going to Business School worked for awhile, and then married. After she was married they moved to another state. This did not keep her from being connected to her family.
She had two boys, my brother had two boys, and I had the two girls. She started being a "mom" figure to the extended family.

When her two boys were in grade school, she decided to go to college and get a teachers degree. After college, she started teaching grade school and then went on to teach High School Business Courses. She also sold Real Estate. All the while she was teaching, she instilled in her extended family (my brother's boys, and my girls) that they needed to take subjects so they too could go to college. This paid off because her two boys and our girls started preparing to go to college. If she hadn't taken an interest in this, I wonder if they would have pursued college. So you see her nurturing instincts were flowing from birth to today.

God gives each believer at least one "spiritual gift". She has exercised her "spiritual gift" over and over again. When you have a gift, that gift cannot be contained, you use it without even thinking about it. There is a story about a boyscout and he wanted to so be a helper and use his boyscout training so much. So he saw a "Little Ole Lady" standing by a curb to the street. He went over to take her arm to help her across the street. The "Little Ole Lady" started getting rather "huffy" with this boy and started slinging her purse at him. The boy couldn't understand why she was so upset, since he was doing such a "good boyscout deed". Well, it turned out that the "Little Ole Lady" didn't want to cross the street. Well this sometimes is the way it is with my sister.

God has endowed her with an exceptional gift of problem solving and wanting to help, that she exercises the "gift" and sometimes people DO NOT WANT HELP, even though they could use a bit of advice. She is very good at problem solving and has helped so many in this area. Whenever, I have a problem, I know she always has a good solution to this problem.
NO, I DO NOT THINK SHE IS SHORT OF A FULL LOAD! (As I indicated in the story about A rock and a hard place). This year she will be 88 years of age and still maintains her own home (even though it is getting harder each year for her).

She and her husband moved back to Illinois and lives in the same town that I live in. Her husband passed away about 4 years ago.

She is my "BEST FRIEND" and I value her judgment immensely. She has a calm even disposition, much the way our dad approached life.

Wisdom for the day--Seek opportunities to exercise your "Spiritual Gifts". Those gifts are there to help others.

No comments: