Tuesday, February 17, 2009

HUSBAND'S WAR INVOLVEMENT (OWN WORDS)

My husband's first attempt to use the computer--He will tell you his involvement in the war effort.

I received my greetings from the president on August 1942 it said-- "Greetings from the President of the United States, please report for a physical in a couple of weeks at Fort Sheridan".

I went up to Chicago on that date with other guys from my area. I passed my physical and was told to report back September 4, 1942 to be inducted into the U. S. Army. I was 21 years of age.

I was in camp Grant for a couple of weeks, then I was sent to Camp Crowder, near Neosha, Missouri. I was in a signal corp outfit and had basic training there. After a couple months they sent us to Mac Dill field in Tampa, Florida. It was nice to be in a warm climate for the winter. In early April we were told to take a two week vacation. I took the train to my home town, but I received a telegram to return to Mac Dill field as soon as possible. This was because my outfit was leaving for overseas. My dad could get a free railway passes (he worked for the railroad) so they went back to Tampa with me.

When my mother , dad, and sister left for home it was a sad occasion I didn't know if I would see them again, especially my dad . He had heart trouble and they didn't have much medicine in those days. After a while we went to New York to Camp Lee.

I left on the boat May 23, 1943. To make it safer the boat zig-zagged every 8 minutes so that the submarines couldn't set up to shoot their torpedo's. We couldn't figure out where we were going. Some times the weather seemed warmer, other times it was cooler. We arrived at Liverpool, England on June 1, 1943.

Thanks for the input, he will tell you tomorrow more about his war experience.

Wisdom--The above scene was multiplied over and over again. Parents worried that this was the last time they would see their son/daughter. We are so grateful for our "War Heroes".

No comments: