Thursday, February 26, 2009

JELLO FOR LEGS!!

When I was in high school we had in our Junior and Senior years a play that we put on for the community. The first year, I had a minor part and when I was a senior I had a little bigger part. In the play I was a neighbor and was in love with the professor that lived next door. Eventually I ended up in his basement with the tomato preserves and I was awe struck! The plays went really well and I loved having a part, even though both were rather insignificant parts. I think my best girlfriend had the lead part in the senior play.

What does this all have to do with "jello" for legs. Well, between Acts, I was supposed to go out and present the teacher a small token of appreciation for her hard work in helping us put on the play.

Since I was president of my class, it was my responsibility. All I had to do was go out and say a few words and give her this gift. "Piece of Cake" I thought. It would have been, but I forgot one little minor thing. STAGE FRIGHT! All during the play, I performed as if nobody was watching.
What could go wrong, I thought. I walked out on the stage and the curtain rose, the lights went on in the audience, and I was all alone with everybody looking at me. My knees started shaking,
my voice left me and there I was for all the world to hear what I was supposed to say. I freaked out and could not utter a word. Finally the the teacher saw my predicament and came out to accept the gift. I know some of you guys can't believe that I was speechless!!!

Our Junior and Senior banquet was in the spring of that year and again, since I was president of the class, I was suppose to give this speech, also. Lo and behold, I acquired the mumps and the Vice president had to give the speech. Yes, I really did have the mumps!

Then when we graduated, I was to give another speech on our classes behalf of being a new alumni at the banquet. This was my only chance to redeem myself. I was bound and determined the same thing wasn't going to happen again. I ended up doing a "great" job. I left nothing for chance, as I practiced what I was going to say and looked everyone in the eye while I was talking. Whew!

Wisdom--It never hurts to step out of our comfort zone and do something that you aren't used to doing. Never again did I ever experience "stage fright" like I did that night! Looking back on this, I am glad I had the experience at that young age.

No comments: