Tuesday, February 3, 2009

ITS A SMALL, SMALL WORLD!

We live in a large world, but on occasions I have felt it was a small, small world.

About a year ago I was seated in church and a couple (late 50's) came and sat in front of our pew. I try to welcome new visitors and sometimes I find they are not new at all, but sitting in a different side of the church. On this occasion, they were indeed visitors. They were visiting their adult children that lived in our town. I asked them, where their home was. They said a town very close to Orlando, Florida. To keep up the conversation, I asked them if they knew a
Dr. Randall_______, from this city. They looked at me as if they couldn't believe I had asked that. They said, that the doctor I had mentioned was their family doctor. The wife had just gotten out of the hospital from about a two week stay, and of course this doctor came in daily to visit her and check on how she was doing.

Well you wonder how this is relative to why I think it is a small, small world? This doctor is a great grandson of my maternal grandfather (the Irish Immigrant--Nebraska Homesteader) I spoke of in yesterdays writing. I only thought they might have heard of him because he was a prominent doctor in that city, and sure didn't think that he was their personal doctor. I e-mailed my cousin and told her about meeting one of Randy's patients. My cousin has since passed away and I will not be able to get access to our roots through her. Her mind was very alert and knew a lot of details and data on that side of the family.

An experience I had of not turning on the lights before taking medicine is as follows.
This particular year (couple years ago), I had quite a few bouts with sore throats, fevers, etc. This particular evening I was getting another one of my sore throats. A "bummer" I thought! So I proceeded to go into the kitchen to make some salt water to gargle with. I got a small glass of water, then reached in without turning on the light, poured quite a bit of salt in the glass. I thought a little salt does some good, I would really make a strong salt gargle. How much salt I poured in I don't know, but when I gargled with it, some of that salt got in my throat, and I thought it was curtains for me that day! I couldn't swallow, or breathe. Eventually, I snapped out of it. Never again will I go in and try to get something without turning on the lights. That was a "no fun" experience! I could picture what had happened to my grandfather that day
long ago. Of course, there were no electric lights to flick on, only kerosene lamps.

Wisdom today--God's presence with us is His greatest present to us.

No comments: