Wednesday, February 18, 2009

MY ENGLAND WAR EXPERIENCES!

When I was at Mac Dill Field in Florida, our unit was attached to the Army Air Corp. So when I was in England, I was appointed to do paper work in the office at Elveden Hall near Thetford, England. I suppose they had me do office work, as this was what I was doing prior to being drafted. I was low ranking, and I got KP a lot. The highest ranking officer was a general on our post. They had their own separate eating mess hall. They ate better than the enlisted men.
Occasionally they would have jelly rolls. I peeled a lot of potatoes, washed a lot of pots and pans while on KP. My wife says today, that sure was a lot better than dodging bullets and bombs. I didn't know her when I was in the service and met her after I got home. Later they promoted me to Sgt. and I didn't have KP much after that. Most of the time after that, I stayed working in the office. I stayed at this post for 2 years, 4 months and 2 days.

I was in the service 3 yrs, 1 month, and 17 days altogether.

When I got leaves we were able to go to London (90 miles away).

I carried a gun 1 day and this was on D-Day (June 6, 1944). Everyone in our unit was ordered to carry a gun that day.

I have tried to keep in touch with some of the men that I worked with during the war. A couple of them have passed away.

Thanks for the input--tomorrow he will tell you more.

Thought--Everyone did what they were assigned to do, and together they came out winning the war!

No comments: