Tuesday, February 24, 2009

MY FAVORITE HIGH SCHOOL TEACHER!

I want to tell you about a teacher that I had in my senior year of high school. He was a history teacher and the coach at the school.

The very first week he demanded your TOTAL attention. If you started looking out the window and daydreaming, he would make all the class have eyes and ears on what he was saying and teaching. He would ask two or at the most three students a question, if he didn't get a right answer from them, he would say, "All books closed, we are going to have a test today". He did this consistently and needless to say, the class did not do too well on the tests. I was totally freaked out! We needed this credit to graduate and he was so ROUGH on us.

Since my dad was on the school board, I went home and told my dad that they needed to do something about that teacher that was coming down so hard on his students. Dad just listened.
I'm sure he was thinking, "well they finally got a teacher that expected kids to study and learn the subject". He did not give me any sympathy.

Well-----since I was not getting any sympathy at home and no sympathy from the teacher, I decided the only thing I had to do, was dig in and STUDY. INDEED, I dug in and studied. When he would give an essay test, he expected you to write everything you knew about the subject and not leave any details out. You made sure that you did your assigned homework for the day.

Throughout the year I was getting fairly good grades in this class and from the teacher that I thought was totally unfair! I learned more in one year about history of the United States than I had all previous years put together. By the end of the year I was really liking the subject. I can truthfully say that he was one of my favorite teachers of all time. He was up there to teach and he expected you to learn!

My dad had always said that teachers were born teachers and good teachers had that something extra that made them stand out. I think this teacher fit that bill. He wasn't mean about it, but was consistent and expected one to learn as he taught. Loving but firm was his "motto".

Wisdom today--Thank a teacher today for helping you learn and grow up at the same time!

No comments: