Tuesday, October 13, 2009

PROFESSOR FOR A DAY!

It was around this time that one of our sons-in-law's father was quite ill and in intensive care. Jim was getting his doctorate degree while teaching at the University.

The final test had to be given, so he came back to give it. He just had gotten home, and they called him back to the hospital where his dad was at because he had gotten worse overnight.

He asked me if I would be there while they took their test. I didn't know zip about what he was teaching, but I agreed. Mainly, it was to make sure that they didn't cheat, etc. It was a graduate course to boot. I was OK unless they asked me something and then, Oh my!

All was going well and then a student came up to where I was sitting and asked me about a question on the test. Now when you don't know anything about something important, the wise thing to do is shoot a question right back to him. I asked him, "What do you think it means?" He said what he thought it meant. I asked, "Does it make sense if you apply it that way?" He said, "Yes". Then I said, "I think that is how you should proceed."

Whew, I got out of that one, now I hope nobody else comes up and asks me anything.

Nobody else came up and I collected the papers and we went up to visit the hospital where our son-in-law's dad was. The family was in the intensive care waiting room. I told my son-in-law that he sure had a snap teaching, that all he had to do is "look wise"! He laughed at me, but his mother looked daggers at me for saying such a thing. It's good that Jim had a sense of humor.

His dad did get better and lived quite a number of years after this event.

Thought--Sometimes we are put in a situation that is way beyond our ability, but if we just do what we have to do and let God help us, we can do it.

No comments: