Tuesday, October 20, 2009

OUR SWEETIE PIE! (THE FROSTING ON THE CAKE)

Well since our daughters were taking turns, it was our older daughters turn to have a child. Back then I don't think they knew whether they were going to have a girl or boy. It is just in the last decade that couples can know what sex their child is before they are born.

I was working and our older daughter and her husband was living still in Virginia. I thought I told you this earlier, but I can't seem to find it so I will tell about it. We were going to take a vacation and travel out to Virginia to take care of their two boys when we got word that she had gone into the hospital.

Since she was getting very close to her due date, we decided it would be safe in taking off. We hadn't gotten any word that we should come yet, however. We traveled approximately 600 miles and was on our way out to where they lived (about 5-6 miles further). We were going past the hospital where Carol was going when she had her baby. I mentioned that to my husband, perhaps we should check in at the hospital before we go out (just in case she was admitted while we were traveling). This was before cell phones.

We went to information desk and asked if Carol had been admitted. The lady said, yes, and also said that she just had her baby! Now how about that for split timing!! We traveled 600 miles and arrived moments after the baby was born. They had a beautiful baby girl and we named her "Our Sweetie Pie--The frosting on the cake!" I was so thankful for a little girl since they had the two boys already.

Kari had to become a "tomboy" since she had two older brothers. She had to hold her own around them.

When she was about the time to be toilet trained, I tried to help in every way I could when around her. Sometimes she would have an accident. I would go over to her and get up in her face and puff out the words (starting with P). I told her that she should Pee Pee and Pooh Pooh in the Potty, not in her Panties. She would just look at me and blink every time the P word would puff in her face. Before I finished saying all of it, I don't think it did much good, because I would start laughing as she was sooooo cute when she blinked her eyes at me with each puff.

Jim and Carol moved back to our state from Virginia yet that summer, so all of the family was closer.

Kari was in soccer and 4-H and we would try to attend all the events of these. It was such a joy to see them grow and mature.

We took Kari on a special camping trip to Colorado. This was her trip dedicated just for her.
Colorado Springs had a wonderful campground and it had a swimming pool, game room, and daily entertainment. One of the days they told about the Broadmoor (5 star Hotel) and their restaurants they had there. He had mentioned a certain kind of cream/berry dessert that you could order and it was to die for! Well, we thought Kari would enjoy going and having that dessert. She was all up for it. It was quite an expensive restaurant, but the memory of her eating that lingers on. Also, their was a little pond/stream that she would feed the ducks. Oh how beautiful memories of that trip! Memories of her up in Rocky Mountain National Park with the tiny animals on the rocks she would feed. This was so sweet. She has a soft spot for animals.
She probably has one of the softest spot for animals to this day than any of our other grandchildren.

She had to take some of her 4-H projects along and try to do a bit of work on them as she was having fun. We went to Jim Dobson's Focus on the Family quarters. She thoroughly enjoyed that and told us that it was the highlight of her trip.

Another time we had the privilege to take Jodi and Kari to Branson, Mo. This too was quite special.

On another vacation, Kari and Jodi (I believe these two were with us), and we went to New Salem State Park. We had just gone to bed and shut the lights off, and all of a sudden we heard this woman in front of our campsite, calling out for help! "Help, help", she said, as she was gasping between pain. She stopped her car right at the right campsite, since there was a doctor in the trailer. Doc Neumo (that is)! This is what my family called me, so I hurriedly got my clothes on and went out to see what her problem was. She was in such terrific pain and told me to pull her arm and get her arm back in the socket. Now I thought this wasn't quite what my doctoring expertise was and I told her that I would go up to the ranger station (which was quite close) and call an ambulance for her. "No, no, don't call an ambulance, just pull on my arm and get it back into the socket". I helped her out of the car and got a chair for her to sit on and told her I would get the ranger to come to help. She wasn't too happy about that decision, but wasn't in a position to do anything but wait. Yes, the ranger called the ambulance and they took her to the emergency room. My grandchildren wanted me to fix her right there and then. My doctoring skills went out the window that day!!

Kari was active in church, Awana, and memorized more scripture than any of the other two put together. She loved church.

She lived at home and went to college and graduated. This was the last of our grandchildren and she was the last to graduate from college.

One day we were having a family picnic in our younger daughters backyard. Someone was drinking a pop. Kari looked over and saw the pop can and said that sure looks familiar! She had designed the pop can logo. Way to go Kari!!! We love you and cherish those growing up years.

Wisdom--This past week-end our granddaughter and husband dedicated their two children to the Lord at their church. What an important event! There were 4 generations (both sides) attending the service Sunday morning. It behooves all of us to pray, pray, pray for these little ones as their parents strive to train them up to serve the Lord. In Matthew 18:6 states--"But whoso shall offend one of these little ones which believe in me, it were better for him that a millstone where hanged about his neck, and that he were drowned in the depth of the sea."
Forgive me, if I should in anyway be a stumbling block to any of my children, grandchildren, and great-grandchildren! My prayers are with each and all!

No comments: