Monday, October 26, 2009

HOW WOULD YOU LIKE THAT JOB?

A beautiful calm spring morning was the setting of our office atmosphere. My state of mind was total contentment in my lot in life. This was the way it was the morning that the gal that was City Treasurer resigned and said she had a new position at the county office.

Our comptroller went by my desk and said, "How would you like that job?" stating my name as he was heading into the vault. It was kinda a "tongue in cheek" comment and I didn't say anything and had temporarily forgotten about it.

Later in the day, I started thinking about the position and how it would increase my pension a tidy sum as well as my weekly pay, so I went to his desk and said, "I know that you were not serious when you made the comment about me taking the City Treasurer position, but I had been thinking about it, and I would be interested in that position". He said, "You get back to your desk immediately and write a letter to the commissioners of your interest in the job, and I will support you 100%." I thought it wouldn't hurt to apply for it, so I followed his advice.

It was an appointed position rather than an elected position. Within a few weeks, I was appointed to be the new City Treasurer. I was confident that I could handle it, since I was familiar with the city books, chart of accounts, computer and the budget.

The "big thing" with that job was controlling and investing the city funds, and police and fire pension funds. There were strict state guidelines that one had to follow when one invests in public funds. Signing checks, and reconciling bank statements were part of the work load.
As I become more adept at my new job, I would absorb more and more nitty gritty daily chores.

I did not take lightly the responsibility that laid on my shoulders. Accountability was paramount
and I made sure that every penny, dime, and dollar was safe and reconciled each month. It is beyond my comprehension that state officials and government workers will cheat, lie and bilk people. Honesty was ingrained in my very being and even the thought would never enter my mind. Of course, every year our office would be audited and under my watch, funds and money was accounted for and in place.

Wisdom--Sometimes opportunity comes and we must know that God will help you fulfill your responsibility if we open that door.

1 comment:

Berjo said...

You did the work of three people as City Treasurer----and the next person who took that position could testify to that! :)
Mary