Tuesday, May 5, 2009

WHAT--NO INSTRUCTION BOOK!

When we brought out first born home from the hospital, the baby didn't come with an instruction book. Now what am I to do, I didn't know anything about babies! Also, a new mother is rather fragile at first in her emotions.

I remember one day, it was about 5-6 weeks after our first baby arrived, she started crying, and crying. Well, let me clarify that a bit more. It was more like she was screaming in pain. Well, since I was new at this, I checked all the normal places, diapers, hunger, pin sticking her. Nothing worked!!! I was beside myself in knowing what to do next. It must have been on a Saturday, as my husband was out clipping hedge. I wondered why he hadn't come in to see what her problem was. This went on quite awhile and I was frantic. Finally I got her to sleep. By that time, my husband entered the house and asked me "What is the matter?" I guess he could detect I was totally upset. I said, "NOTHING!!!" Now when a wife says nothing after a question like that--one better know there is SOMETHING THE MATTER!!! The windows were closed because of the September cool spell, and he couldn't hear his daughter screaming her head off. I was too stubborn to tell him she was crying, because I thought the whole neighborhood could hear her and why wasn't he concerned!

After all of that, I looked down and my legs were completely broken out with big red splotches!
I started worrying that I had something that our new baby would catch. Off to the doctor I went to see what was wrong with me. He said that I had a good case of the HIVES! He said, "Your baby surely must have been really crying loudly!!!

It reminds me of about 4 years ago when my grandson's wife brought home their first born from the hospital. I asked who was going to help her with the newborn when she came home. She said, "My husband"! Well, I THOUGHT WHAT DOES HE KNOW ABOUT NEWBORN BABIES!! I don't know whether I said that out loud or was just thinking that. Then I got to thinking, "WHAT DID I KNOW ABOUT NEWBORNS WHEN WE BROUGHT OUR FIRSTBORN HOME"!!! Absolutely, nothing, but I learned. Then I thought, well he is smart young man, he will learn like I did and BOND with her while learning. His wife is one SHARP COOKIE!!! That was the WISEST DECISION anyone could make.

Reminiscing--Time flies past so fast, our first newborn is now a grandmother to a sweet new baby that I wrote about yesterday, also, grandmother to the above child (4 years old now). Relish the growing up years, as they slip by so quickly.

No comments: