Friday, May 29, 2009

LIFE IS FULL OF SURPRISES!

As I recall some of the things the girls did when they were quite small, it brings a smile to my face yet.

My older daughter did not like me to talk on the phone. The minute the telephone rang she would run to the buffet and hand me dish after dish until I stopped talking. She didn't do this any other time. No dishes were ever broken and I guess I didn't quite know how to cure this little habit she got herself into. It still brings back fond memories of those days.

One summer we were refinishing our bedroom's floor and putting in updated closet doors in the bedroom. We had all the furniture out of our room and into the girls room. This made it wall to wall furniture in their room for a few weeks. One afternoon, I put our younger daughter in the crib and our older daughter on our bed in their bedroom for an afternoon nap. I was busy working on the floor in our bedroom, when all of a sudden I heard a THUMP. I immediately thought that our older daughter had fallen out of bed while asleep. I hurriedly went in and found her covered with Vick's from head to toe. She didn't fall out of bed, she slid out of bed. She couldn't stand up because of her soles of her feet was covered with this stuff. I had a hard time not laughing out loud, since the scene was "hilarious".

My husband had broken his nose as a 3 year old child on a tricycle over an embankment. Since that time he always put Vicks in his nose to help him breath. So she had gotten in the Vicks that hot afternoon and was really having a rub-a-dub dub party all her own. So Cute!!!

Then there was another time that I was working in Bible School that week and had the girls all ready to go on the gated front porch. I had a few minutes to spare before my friend was to pick us up, so I went into the kitchen to do last minute sprucing up. I became quite aware of a virtual silence from the front porch. Now when 2 children are playing, and then it becomes very silent, it is time to check things out. Well, it was a good thing that I did, since my older daughter was a budding beautician and was giving our younger daughter a nice gorgeous hair cut. Our younger daughter was enjoying her new locks as much as the older one was enjoying her new talent.
Mom wasn't quite as enthusiastic over the results as those two were. We were going on vacation right after Bible School was through that year. At least, it was something that could grow and all was well and no permanent damage done.

Thought--Having children is so much fun! Each day brings new challenges and funny incidences that with time, those are cherished memories. I wouldn't exchange those memories for a million dollars! What joy and enrichment those two girls brought to our lives down through the years. I will tell you some more of these memories another day.

No comments: