Wednesday, May 27, 2009

NOW WE WERE FOUR!

After my recent vacation, I will try to get back in time when our children were little.

The year was 1954 and our 2ND child was yet to be born. In the fall of 1954 (one month before she was born), my father passed away. I spoke about this in "The Wake" article.

Now it was time for God to bless us with a new baby. It was in November and since I had fallen down those stairs a few days before our first child was born, I did not want to chance another fall on the ice, so I walked in our basement a lot the last few days.

It was a Sunday morning and a few days after my due date. I thought I would go to church, but wasn't sure that I should. The decision was made for me, as I knew it was time to head for the hospital.

In those days the father could only be in the labor room, but not in the delivery room. I was admitted and my husband was in the labor room with me about five minutes and the staff chased him out, as they needed to prep me. They left me unattended and my pains started to rapidly increase. I recalled how it took quite a few minutes before any nurse came on the scene, so I decided to turn on the light for a nurse. Well - - - - - - -immediately, not only one nurse came in but I think the whole staff came in and asked, "What's the matter?" I wasn't expecting that response but I said, "I just didn't want to have this baby by myself!" They quickly checked me and said, Tell the nurse not to give me an enema as I would have the baby on the bedpan. They quickly ushered me off to the delivery room. I was racing another lady (her 5th-6th child) to see who my doctor would attend to first. I think I must have won, as I had a sweet baby girl weighing in at 8# 1 oz. This was 2 hours after my first pain. It is a good thing that I didn't have a third baby, as it only took 4 hours the first time, 2 hours the 2ND time and had I had a third, I might have had no warning whatsoever if the pattern continued.

No complications and we took our baby home about a week later. What a blessing! Now our family was a total of four.

Wisdom--No matter how many children God blesses one with, each one is a miracle!! All the little fingers, toes, and everything in place. I was quite aware that this sometimes this isn't the case, and one doesn't always have a healthy baby. I read about others that this wasn't the case, and the gender wasn't important, I was praying for a healthy child and not that I had a boy or girl.

No comments: